French Classic Dessert, which is challenging to make and the end result is divine
Mille FeuilleFrench Classic Dessert, which is challenging to make and the end result is divineHema Warrick
Butter, unsalted, cold
1 1/4 Cups
- Mix together salt and flour in a bowl ,then crumble the cold butter till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs,slowly add cold water and make into a smooth dough.Cover and leave aside
- Meanwhile mix together butter and margarine till smooth and well blended,divide this in three equal parts and leave aside.
- Roll the dough into 6 by 12 inch rectangle and apply one portion of butter margarine equally all over,do the book fold and wrap it tightly in a plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for up to 20 min.Repeat this process twice more,after the final sheeting leave the dough outside.
- Till the dough is resting we will make our Pastry cream
Put vanilla bean in the hot scalding milk and leave it to infuse for 15 minutes, meanwhile whisk together egg yolks and sugar till creamy then add flour and cornflour and whisk till well blended.
- Remove vanilla bean from milk and slowly add the milk to the egg mixture whisking all the time,once all the milk is added, put the saucepan back on the stove and heat it gently while whisking all the time so that the pastry cream is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Once the cream thickens remove it from the heat and cover it with plastic wrap and leave it to cool
- Meanwhile roll out the puff pastry dough to the thickness of 1/4 inch and not more than that,prick it all over with a fork and bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degree Celsius till nice brown color comes to the pastry. Just keep an eye on the pastry as it is getting baked,cause if the pastry starts
- puffing up then you will have to press it back down. Once the pastry cools down cut it into 2 by 2 inch square pieces
- Assembling the desert, apply pastry cream on 1 piece of the cut pastry,top it with another piece of pastry apply pastry cream on this piece,top it with another piece of pastry and top this with Melted white and dark chocolates and give it either marble effect or feather effect.
- You can assemble this pastry and refrigerate it or assemble it freshly,do not leave assembled pastry outside as the puff becomes soggy.